The imprisonment of Julian Assange is a threat to press freedom, which is already under attack on multiple fronts; as well as a threat to freedom of any speech or affiliation. Shooting the messenger should never be a thing, even if you disagree with the message. We should never lock people up for saying things that the governing elites don't want to hear. This is violence and we oppose violence.
The Green Party of Kansas City Missouri notes:
- The imprisonment of Julian Assange in Belmarsh high security prison.
- The attempt by the US government to extradite Julian Assange for revealing the truth about the Iraq and Afghan wars, and about Guantanamo bay.
- The US government attempt to use the 1917 Espionage Act in order, if convicted, to imprison Assange for a 175 year sentence.
The Green Party of Kansas City Missouri believes:
- That a free press is essential to the proper working of a democratic society.
- That Julian Assange revealed material that was wholly in the public interest.
- That Julian Assange should not be extradited to the US and the charges against him should be dropped.
The Green Party of Kansas City Missouri resolves:
- To affiliate to the Don’t Extradite Assange campaign.
- To support the ‘Surround Parliament’ national demonstration on Saturday, October 8, 2022 in support of Julian Assange.
- To publicize this event to our members and supporters.
Approved by the General Membership on Thursday, September 1, 2022.